Alternative file systems? Was Re: Better File systems?

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Richard Troy wrote:

> ANYWAY... I'm using Linux for business these days and I like it a lot but
> want a better file system. I've heard of quite a few new ones - new to me
> anyway - and when I asked about it, nobody really replied with the kind of
> response I was hoping for. Ext2 is all I've got working. I ran into a
> mountain of hassle with ext3 - I just don't have time for crap that
> doesn't work. I've learned from this list that ext3 works fine and it was
> an installation or upgrade problem, but that doesn't tell me _anything_
> about why I might want ext3. ...That's part of why I never followed
> through on those installation and upgrade problems - no motive. Another
> thing I was asking about I never heard anything about was the how/where
> question - I only picked up that ext3 comes with RH7.x - and I already
> knew that...

 Well, ext3 will give you the filesystem integrity you want.  It also
has the plus point that with the default "data=ordered" mode you don't
get garbage data in your open files.  Stephen can explain the benefits
of data=journal because I'm actually not sure I understand what that
gives you that "ordered" doesn't (except possibly some performance
difference when typing "sync").

> Anybody want to give this a try? I think it'd be a real service. Maybe
> just reply with a summary of your personal favorite?

 My first post in this very thread, I believe, was a reasonable list
of what's out there, but no table.  I'll leave recommendations, but
I'll stand by my assertion that the best way to be sure is test them
with *your* workload to see what you prefer in terms of performance
for different tasks (each fs has strengths and weaknesses).