Alternative file systems? Was Re: Better File systems?

> ANYWAY... I'm using Linux for business these days and I like it a lot but
> want a better file system. I've heard of quite a few new ones - new to me
> anyway - and when I asked about it, nobody really replied with the kind of
> response I was hoping for. Ext2 is all I've got working. I ran into a
> mountain of hassle with ext3 - I just don't have time for crap that
> doesn't work. I've learned from this list that ext3 works fine and it was
> an installation or upgrade problem, but that doesn't tell me _anything_
> about why I might want ext3. ...That's part of why I never followed
> through on those installation and upgrade problems - no motive. Another
> thing I was asking about I never heard anything about was the how/where
> question - I only picked up that ext3 comes with RH7.x - and I already
> knew that...

I followed instructions and it just worked. I use (for a change)
standard RH kernels - if you build your own and get it wrong, booting
can be difficult.

I even converted a 7.1 system to ext3; I think all I needed to do was
run tune2fs, update fstab and install a kernel for 7.2. Takes a few
minutes regardless of filesystem size, no backup/restore required.

Major benefits touted of ext3 are
Faster startup after a disorderly shutdown
Improved probability of recovering all your data.

It's also easy to go back to ext2 if you want - just an option on the
mount command.

> So, I think it'd be really neat if someone would put together a small
> table outlining what's available for our beloved RedHat Linux
> systems, telling us whether or not they're included with Red Hat, or
> whether we have to hunt down the RPMS, etc., and perhaps with a brief
> statement of the technology and good applications. What I'm thinking of
> would be essentially a roll up of what we've read on this list in recent
> days.

mentioned.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!