Better File systems? Was Re: XFS - here's the solution

You're right, I didn't follow your argument completely but rather only a
short subset slamming Unix. I get your gist, though I would have to see
statistics to see whether making such required updates wouldn't reduce
performance too extensively.

I made the mistake of assuming you were a newbie who just didn't like
the idea of disk caching period because the idea was problematic to your
needs. I apologize for that error.

I really didn't need the history lesson, at least the part about it that
rubbed it in my face, but I'll live with it since I admit I was a bit
condescending (I think you have returned that favor in spades though).
Like you I have been in this business for quite a while, I have just
concentrated on different areas.

Finally, while I applaud attempt to improve Unix or any other OS, I
would hesitate to imply that somehow something so drastic as what you
suggest simply "stupidly" escaped the view of so many intelligent people
who have contributed to Unix. It is I suppose possible they just all got
caught up in a prevailing mindset, but I suspect it is more likely that
there were *real* reasons at the time that made their now incorrect
decision the right choice then.

			- Matt