Re: reiser4 inclusion?

Hello Jason,

Edward,

Please,
don't flood in this mailing list.
Go away!

You are totally out of line here.

First, please following mailing list etiquette and don't top post

Second, Christian, like all others, have a right to post here. You may not agree with his posts (or what he is doing with OntoFS), but that does not give you the right to tell him to go away.

Third, if the community only relied on you to progress reiserfs, it has been years at this point and nothing significant. it is basically somewhat dead.

If there was more co-operation and less fighting, perhaps forking would not need to be an issue, but with your head up your ass no progress gets made, no leaps forward, nada, zip, zilch.

-Jason

Christian Stroetmann OntoLab wrote:
Dear Christian;
You wrote:
With still no project page in sight,
Under the label of my company and taking the full risk of losing
reputation, in contrast to other well known Linux distributions and
former supporters of R....4 fs which (partly) jumped off the train, I
made the following offers in the past:
1. Support the R4 fs under the name R4.
2. Set up a project page or, on the wish of the developement
community, a wiki.
3. Under an other name, which I've choosen and I'm not allowed to name
in this mailinglist, I've have even developed another kind of file
system.

The results were:
To 1.: No echo.
To 2.: No replay.
To 3.: I got a kindly "Go away" advice.
And to give it the rest: I do have alternatives and if some persons
think, that they can gain something by their destructive attitude,
than I have to say: Okay, have a nice day.

Being constructive, I think we need a new projcet management, maybe a
new maintainer, or some bytes for archiving the digital waste.
I find it hard to track[0] the progress of the work being towards an
inclusion of reiser4 into mainline. Unable to help out with real
code, I look at the reiser4-for-2.6.29 diffstat (sans the fs/reiser4
parts!) and see:

Documentation/Changes                         |   12
Documentation/filesystems/reiser4.txt         |   75
fs/Kconfig                                    |    1
fs/Makefile                                   |    1
fs/buffer.c                                   |    9
fs/fs-writeback.c                             |    5
include/linux/fs.h                            |    3
include/linux/mm.h                            |    2
mm/filemap.c                                  |    4
mm/page-writeback.c                           |   48
So, with 4 of them being "just" documentation and build magic, I take
it that we're 6 files and less than 100 lines of code away from at
least putting this file system into the new staging/ tree perhaps?

Thoughts?

I found it more and more jokeless, what is going on around this fs.
Btw.: I can't and I won't follow the claims and resitances made by Al
Viro and other hard core coders against R4 and HFS+, especially the
arguments in the hardlink subject.
Thanks,
Christian.

[0] http://tinyurl.com/dexfq9

Sincerely
Christian *<:o)

I would really like to know, what was and is going on behind the scenes.
If Mr. Shishkin wants some kind of monetary support for his work, then I have to say: "Sorry, but not this way" and "The time is over since two years". That means no money! You got me? Good.

Christian *<:o)