boot hdb?

goal:  replace hda (with a bigger drive)
limits:  no floppy, no cd burner

how do i do it?

rh9 is running on hdb.  grub boots off hda, of course, so when i replace
hda, i'll lose my mbr.

i have at hand a set of rh7.2 cd's.  but even having booted the rescue
cd, i don't see how then to boot into my working rh9 partition on hdb.

i can invoke grub while on the rescue cd.  it can install an mbr.  but
if i try to set root to (hd1,2), and install an mbr, i just get
something about wrong cylinder size or some such message when i try to
boot.

with grub running on the rescue cd, i can load the configfile from my
rh9 partition on hdb.  but it won't let me just go and boot.  that's all
i really want to do.  how do i do it?

tia,
greg
--