Re: boot hdb?

Greg,

Assuming you have both drives in your box and you have just installed RH9 onto hdb and your goal is as stated which I read to mean that you want to make hdb the primary installation and boot off of it.

Option one: Change the boot order in BIOS if possible. (most new BIOS can do this)
1. Boot into grub on your current hda and then install grub onto hdb's mbr.
2. Go into your BIOS at boot and change the boot order of the hard drives.
3. Now your old hda will be hdb but at boot, grub should load your RH9 as expected.
Note: this assumes that your grub.conf if already correct for the new installation.

Option two: Dual boot off two hd's
1. Boot into grub off of hda.
2. edit the config file <e at the grub screen> such that you can boot off of hdb.
3. This might look like:
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1, 2) # assuming that your boot partition is the third partition
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1
initrd /initrd.img
4. If this works then permanently edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file

HTH,

-Martin

g whitley mott wrote:

goal:  replace hda (with a bigger drive)
limits:  no floppy, no cd burner

how do i do it?

rh9 is running on hdb.  grub boots off hda, of course, so when i replace
hda, i'll lose my mbr.

i have at hand a set of rh7.2 cd's.  but even having booted the rescue
cd, i don't see how then to boot into my working rh9 partition on hdb.

i can invoke grub while on the rescue cd.  it can install an mbr.  but
if i try to set root to (hd1,2), and install an mbr, i just get
something about wrong cylinder size or some such message when i try to
boot.

with grub running on the rescue cd, i can load the configfile from my
rh9 partition on hdb.  but it won't let me just go and boot.  that's all
i really want to do.  how do i do it?

tia,
greg

Martin J. Stumpf
Division of Medical Imaging Physics, Department of Radiology
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
601 North Caroline Street / JHOC 4230
Baltimore, Maryland 21287-0855 USA
Voice: (410) 614-0115 Fax: (410) 614-9979