Re: boot hdb?

g whitley mott wrote:

goal:  replace hda (with a bigger drive)
limits:  no floppy, no cd burner

how do i do it?

rh9 is running on hdb.  grub boots off hda, of course, so when i replace
hda, i'll lose my mbr.

i have at hand a set of rh7.2 cd's.  but even having booted the rescue
cd, i don't see how then to boot into my working rh9 partition on hdb.

i can invoke grub while on the rescue cd.  it can install an mbr.  but
if i try to set root to (hd1,2), and install an mbr, i just get
something about wrong cylinder size or some such message when i try to
boot.

with grub running on the rescue cd, i can load the configfile from my
rh9 partition on hdb.  but it won't let me just go and boot.  that's all
i really want to do.  how do i do it?

tia,
greg

I would temporarily remove hdb, and put the bigger drive on that socket in the same configuration as hdb was. Then I would use a boot disk or the Ultimate Boot CD and cloning tool (included on the ultimate boot CD), to simply Image hda onto your new drive completely. Then reconfigure the drive for use as whatever your hda is set to, unplug hda, plug in your new drive, and re-plug in your hdb. Everything should then work as normal. A complete image grabs everything including MBR etc.

Im assuming you have a CD-ROM. You mention you don't have a writer.

If you cannot create the UBCD, because you have no other PCs with a burner, your can order the CD direct from SwiftCD.

More info in the UBCD at www.ultimatebootcd.com.

I'm not affiliated with the guy, but the CD is so invaluable to me, please donate to him (on his site) if it makes your life easier.

Regards,
Ed.