Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

Pete,

Hi Bob,
There are a few things to consider. There is certainly nothing wrong with using a service on a non-standard port, however, it may interfere in the future if you add a service that uses the non-standard port. As far as security, although it hides the port, it may also invite curiosity trying to figure out what you are listening for. The last thing you mention is likely the most important and will cause you the most pain. Anyone who needs to connect to your server must set their client up right, and avoid using the provided client which they may be used to. If they were all behind a Linux box at one or two sites, you could port forward outbound from those sites and the clients would never know.

I like that! :-)

If you have a static IP and your ISP is willing, then having a hole opened up is the simplest, from your point of view.

I do have a static IP, and I have an email in asking what their threshhold of annoyance is...

Regardless of all that, the best solution, if you know who the clients are, instead of installing a new FTP client, would be to set them all up with ssh clients (putty or ?) and use sftp via ssh ports which are almost always open. You have all the security of ssh and you can stay off your ISP bad list :)

I've tried putty for both ssh and sftp and it works nicely. I suppose I can sell the security aspect of it, and provide them a list of client software that supports alternate ports. Then provide them a port number in a private email or after they log in.

Pete, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your help through this, I appreciate all the time you've taken to help me out. Enjoy your holidays!

-Bob