RH AS3.0 Beta - office and other apps freeze up opening docs., spreadsheets

Dear All,

I have an interesting problem with my office computer.

The O/S I am using is Redhat Enterprise Linux AS3.0 Beta,
The Kernel version is 2.4.21-1.1931.2.399.ent

I have had this system installed since 31st October, and when I try to
open various programs, and use various applications, the app locks up or
fails to open.

Specifically,I install StarOffice 5.2 and when I power cycle and then
try to use the program, I get the error "segmentation fault" until I
remove and reinstall again.
Open office 1.1.0 won't open a variety of spreadsheets and documents,
especially those with links to other docs. in, and just freezes up.
The gimp no longer opens, but works if I deinstall and reinstall it
until I power cycle the system.

Interestingly enough, I did a local install on this computer of star
office 5.2, so all data is stored on my home partition.
I have the home partition on an extractable disk, which I have now
extracted and put on another computer that is running RH v9.
When I try to open star office 5.2 now, it opens fine, but I know I will
get the error message if I go back to my office machine with the redhat
AS3.0.
Therefore, the reason my programs are not opening must be related to the
operating system, it seems to occur only after a reboot, and it is
probably not a file on my home partition that is causing the problem.

I heard about the segmentation fault error being typically due to memory
problems,but I feel it is an OS problem in this case, as it does not
occur with all apps and only occurs after I power cycle once.

To fix the problem, I have decided to reinstall the offending OS, and
replace it with a fresh version of RH9.0B, because I am sick of this
problem now, as I rely on my computer for work.So I will then quickly
discover if the problem is due to a memory error or not...
However, I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has had any
similar problems or experiences, and some idea of what the problem might
be...

--
Stephen CS Howe <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>