Re: remote backup software

Ed Wilts wrote:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:46:33AM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:

Hopefully someone here might be able to help me. I have a customer with a SNAP server that is redhat linux based. He is in Arkansas and I am in Kansas. I need to backup a directory on his server nightly. I need to be able to do a full backup to start and then incremental backups every day. ncftpget's -R option doesn't seem to work to traverse down a directory to get all files and sub folders under the main directory. I am assuming that is because the SNAP server is a cut down version of redhat linux. The only access that I will have to the SNAP server is ftp.

Another option is to create scripts which will handle your backup policy on your remote server, and then FTP the tarred and compressed files down, based on that policy. Assuming that you have enough disk space on your remote machine, create a set of scripts to handle your regular backup policy, and the final product should be a set of tarred and compressed files (your choice of compression). FTP the files down by scheduled task, and you can leave possibly the most recent files on your remote server. That helps reduce some of the bandwidth issues, and lets you use standard FTP to handle the transaction.

-Bob