Re: remote backup software

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:46:33AM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> Hopefully someone here might be able to help me.  I have a customer with a
> SNAP server that is redhat linux based.  He is in Arkansas and I am in
> Kansas.  I need to backup a directory on his server nightly.  I need to be
> able to do a full backup to start and then incremental backups every
> day.  ncftpget's -R option doesn't seem to work to traverse down a
> directory to get all files and sub folders under the main directory.  I am
> assuming that is because the SNAP server is a cut down version of redhat
> linux.  The only access that I will have to the SNAP server is ftp.

If ftp is what you have to work with, then you'll have to make that
work.  Assuming that ncftpget -R doesn't work because it's a cut down
version of Red Hat Linux is a very bad assumption.  For starters,
calling it Red Hat Linux has both technical and legal ramifications.
There's no such thing as a "cut down version".  You either have a
collection of packages that Red Hat provides - and you can choose which
to install and which not to - or it's simply not Red Hat Linux.

Telling us that it "doesn't seem to work" isn't very helpful.  Either it
works or it doesn't.  If it doesn't work, what error messages do you
get?  Which ftp server is installed on the Snap server?  Red Hat's
standard server was wu-ftpd in earlier releaases of Red Hat Linux.  In
later releases, they changed to vsftpd.  What version is installed?  Are
you using passive or active ftp?  Are there firewalls between you and
the Snap server?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx