Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

On December 20, 2003 07:02 pm, Bob Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure what I'm looking for with the forward rules.   The results
> are: Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> <INPUT_RULE>  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

You're not doing any forwarding from the sounds of it so it won't matter, but
the INPUT rules should indicate "policy Drop" or Reject, and "ftp Accept".

> >>Make sure there is a log entry before any other accept rules. Maybe
> >> someone else that reads this and uses the same tool as originally set
> >> these up, can comment on the iptables rules you have listed.
>
> I will put the rules at the top of the accept list, just under the FTP
> rules, and test.

Put a set in before the ftp rules to show that it is getting to the firewall
(change the tag a bit for identiciation), then if it fails the ftp rules it
should log an additional entry from the entry after the ftp rules. If only
the pre-ftp gets loged, then you know the firewall is allowing ftp through,
at least for the initial connection.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce