Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

Pete,

I heard back from my upstream ISP. Apparantly they are blocking some of the standard abuse ports, FTP being one of them. Most of their downstream systems are Windows systems, so I don't really blame them for taking the extra precautions.

He has two suggestions for me. One is use a non-standard port for FTP, which I can test and try with vsftpd. The other is that he can open the firewall for my IP address and ports, which from the sound of the email is not his desired answer.

Since I will have some in-experienced users on the system, I'm sure there's reasons for having standard ports, not the least of which is that Windows 2K FTP does not support setting its port. However, other Windows based FTP packages do, such as Globescape. So the question is, as a practice, is using non-standard FTP ports acceptable?

Thanks

-Bob