Re: Euro symbol

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:07:21PM +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
> I believe that xmodmap may have some nasty interactions with xkb.  Try
> modifying the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to include (assuming that you
> have the same keyboard as me)
>
>      Option  "XkbModel" "pc105"
>      Option  "XkbLayout" "en_US"
>      Option  "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"
>
> The critical settings are en_US and compose:menu.  The en_US triggers
> the inclusion of the ISO9995-3 compose set.  You can do this and restart X.

Interesting.  I edited my /etc/bashrc to take out my:

  xmodmap -e "keysym Menu = Multi_key"

And I edited my /etc/X11/XF86Config.  The XkbModel was already pc105,
the layout had been simply "us".  Also, there was a:

  	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"

that I had to comment out to get any composing to work.

Here is a fragment of what I have now (commented lines removed):

  Section "InputDevice"
	  Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	  Driver      "keyboard"
	  Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	  Option	    "XkbLayout" "en_US"
	  Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"
  EndSection

I still can't get a euro character.  I am using Abiword as a test bed
and I can compose other characters there.  Also, my right Alt key
seems to have become a dead key.  For example alt ' e yields a ^ over
an e.  But compose ^ e also does that, so I am not sure I am ahead, as
my fingers think that alt key is meta in emacs.

Is this stuff documented anywhere?  Last I tired to make sense of the
XF86Config file I was not very successful in finding much.

Thanks,

-kb