Re: Euro symbol

Kent,

I have the xfree86 rules in my configuration. Hmmm. Do you have other rules defined? There must be some, and I think xfree86 is the default set.

Do you have compose when using gnome-terminal? I have it with gnome-terminal, but not with Konsole. Yet, from either Konsole or gnome-terminal, if I issue an 'xev' command, and move the cursor into the black square, pressing my defined compose key reports Multi_key, as does Shift-AltR.

What's your situation? It looks as though your AltR is defined as a ISO_LEVEL3_Shift, AKA AltGr. On my GB keyboard (the laptop), AltR+4 gives me the Euro, but not on my US keyboard.

AbiWord, as with you, gives me some compose functionality (Ã {e-acute} for example) but not the Euro. I think this may be a character set or font issue, with AbiWord happy with iso8859-1, but not iso8859-15.

OpenOffice 1.1 give me NO Compose functionality at all. The help advises setting SAL_ALTGR_COMPOSE, but if I do that, the rest of my compose functionality is lost in other apps. I don't know why.

The documentation for XKB is in a lot better condition than it was originally, which is not to say that it is clear. See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/README*.

I have just spent some happy hours hacking on the definitions to try to get AltR+4 to produce the EuroSign. No luck. If you grep for EuroSign in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols, they are all over the place. If you try changing the AE04 key definition in iso9995-3 to include the EuroSign, nothing happens. It seems that any changes I make are ignored, which suggests precompiled keymap files. I don't know where they are, however.

<RedhatLoveIn>
This is a total shambles, and it seems to me to have been created by Redhat as a testbed for working out the fontconfig and utf-8 issues before presenting them to their corporate customers. Forget that "community" garbage. Nobody asked me if I wanted to tear my hair out for months trying to get my previous level of functionality back. And no-one from Redhat has stuck his or her head up in response to any of my requests for assistance on this (or any other) issue. The funny thing is, I actually paid for RH9, instead of getting second sourced CDs.
</RedhatLoveIn>

Peter