Euro symbol

Re: accented Spanish characters in Linux
From:
Kent Borg <kentborg-rhl@xxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:33:49 -0500
To:
redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:24:00PM +0800, Didier Casse wrote:

If you have a US English Keyboard and you want to typeset those
accented Spanish Characters on your amsn or Licq, how do you do
that?

I recently asked about the same question. This is the answer I hit
upon: run the command

xmodmap -e "keysym Menu = Multi_key"

Then use the menu key (has a picture of a menu mid-selection) as a
"compose" key.  So for an accented "e", press compose+', then press
the "e".  Try other combination for other characters.  (Including yen
symbol, US cents symbol, etc.)  For inverted question mark and
inverted exclamation point compose+? followed by ? or compose-!
followed by !.

I put the above line in my /etc/bashrc file, after the line that reads
"screen)".

Good luck,

-kb, the Kent who still doesn't know how to do a euro symbol.

Compose = e

works for me. Interestingly, Compose e = doesn't, and neither do Compose c = or Compose = c, all of which are mentioned in
/usr/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose
but don't make it into the Compose functionality. Beats me.

Peter