Re: it's so disappointing

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:45:14PM -0800, Richard A. Forrister wrote:
> Disagree with your viewpoint here, in particular ...

I agree with you--RH isn't guilty of perfidy, betrayal, or incest.  But
they may, in the heat of the moment, have made several blunders.

> Red Hat's developers are a significant part of the Fedora staff, ...
> RPM ... Anaconda ... do work ... give the results away.
> That's what you're paid to do."  And from this you get to a point of
> saying that Red Hat is telling you you're just not worth their effort?

Yes, and the original poster probably is barking up the wrong tree.  The
problem is, for all this work and effort, the result is more Rawhide-ish
than RedHat-ish, at least as far as users are concerned who don't want
to experiment--at least, as far as the documentation and discussion that
an informed user will encounter.  If that isn't what RedHat wants to
promulgate, they should be doing something to counter that.

But it isn't is it?  They want you to buy RedHat.  The trouble is, it's
a much harder sell _vis a vis_ Windows.  Oh, *YOU* know Linux walks
the dog, puts out the cat, and butters the toast, and *I* know that,
but Joe User now has a significantly greater amount to lose to try Linux.

> To this point the worst thing I can say about Red Hat's decisions is
> that communications have been less than satisfactory, that a clear,
> comprehensive message about what's been going on, why, and what the
> different classes of end users can to to get the sam level of support that
> they've enjoyed in the past.  I fail to see where I've been "abandoned"
> at all.

Oh, I certainly second the bad communications part--planning, too.
And the comment about Linux workstations (not) was such a blunder that
I have to believe he had a brain cloud that day.  But I will grant that
they have abandoned one niche market--not free, but the very-low-cost
for-pay reliable distribution.

I haven't criticized them for that, gotta pay the bills--no matter that
all those .com puppies told me I was "so old economy" when I said that
to them before; "Where's your VC-funded .com NOW?" (typed in my best
Edward G.  Robinson voice)--but it's making my life and job a bit harder.

> As for Fedora, why not do what I'm doing?  Set up another partition,
> load Fedora/SuSE/whatever on that partition, and do some comparisons.
> Then make a choice about what meets your needs and/or curls your nosehair.

Read my other post about having other experimental things to do with my time.
I *know* the kinds of problems I may run into, and one working version of
Fedora isn't going to make me recommend it to clients--the danger isn't with
THIS version or THAT version, it's endemic to the difference in approach in
development integration.  It's why I never recommended someone run Rawhide
for their small business, or if they absolutely, positootely had to guarantee
that they could get online to pay their bills from home.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	ignatz@xxxxxxxxxx