Re: it's so disappointing

Dave Ihnat wrote:

In neither case is RedHat, the company, the answer for support.
Both offer the potentiality of RPM hell (#1 if package dependencies
aren't kept up-to-date in the SRPM; #2 for obvious reasons).  If they
don't like that, pony up for full Enterprise with support.

At the risk of sounding even more like flame fodder, most projects make their products available in several different formats. RPM is but one, and from what I can tell, it is not always the best. Most of the packages can also be downloaded and installed from source. I have done this many times, and I usually feel more comfortable with software I've installed that way.

In many cases, the best source of support has never Red Hat anyway, but the maintainer of a particular project or the OSS community in general.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford