Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:24:51AM +0100, Molnar Peter wrote:

One of my teachers keeps telling me, that you can't do complicated
things in a simple way. Linux lacks simplicity in it's basic design,
because it wasn't a priority, and I don't think it is today.

In what way?
I find the Unix philosophy "cleaner" than the Microsft way of doing things.

Emmanuel

If I understand what he means correctly, I think he means with basic design, text mode consoles and text mode config files, which do put non technical people off. No doubt about it in my mind. Windows since the advent of the 9x series has done away with the text files and hidden them from the user in the Registry. No matter how much I hate the concept of the registry, it was clever beyond words. Simpletons never had to mess with text file again effectively, and even for the techies, all configuration options in one big database. Could have been done simpler, undoubtedly, granted. (who invented 'keys' like {7ACDF44653-7788BCFED52}? - seriously).

Linux/Unix on the other hand.

Yes, most things are in /etc or sub directories thereof. But text files are frequently not documented enough or you have to skip to the man pages to look up the keyword/value pair.

Yes, things like Webmin make it easier, but I think this is what the original poster means.

Unix was predominantly text. X was added later. Now, when we load Unix/Linux, we start up the kernel and all other services in text mode, THEN jump to X. X then loads the Windows Manager and off we go.

One the one hand - cool. Allows for fantastic flexibility, which WE love, but is daunting for the newbie.

I'm still of the opinion NOT EVERYTHING has been emulated by X programs. A lot of text mode proggies have not got X counterparts. Those who dive deep into their systems right now, will still use a lot of text mode commands. Such is the nature of the completely flexible beast.

Again - this can be a bugger for the newbie.

Not to mention the dastardly drivers. Quick example: On Windows pop in a USB mass storage, it gets a drive letter and you're done. In Linux, IF you're lucky the mass storage gets recognized immediately. IF it does then you still need to find out from /var/log/messages which sd(x) device it was assigned. IF that goes well, you have to create a mount point and mount it. I'm sure an automounter exists for this, but again it is something that would then need to be set up first.

Granted - kid's play for us, but daunting for a newbie.

Summary - I think RedHat was right to say it. M$ has made things so easy for the green PC user over the years, they've ruined it for anything that is not as simple. Until it becomes so I have to agree.

Regards,
Ed.