Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:46:11 -0600, Ed Wilts wrote
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:02:58PM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> > Is it possible to renew only the RHN (patches) for RHPW on a yearly
> > basis?
>
> I'm trying to find this out.
>
> > Even if it is, here's the catch... although you can always
> > install server software (Samba, Bind, etc.), you won't have access to
> > the errata.  This still leaves a gaping hole for SOHO customers, IMHO.
>
> For a typical home office user, you don't need bind or an ftp daemon.
> Samba is included as is Apache and openssh-server.

Some advice on my situation would be appreciated.

I teach a graduate level special topics course for IS students in a College of
Business. My students are assigned to teams. Each team is required to design
and implement an e-commerce web site using Linux. In addition each team is
required to install a Linux/Win2K dual boot workstation to be used to test
their project. I have a classroom/lab with slip case hard disks where the
teams do all their work.

The project uses Apache, PHP, MySql Server, Postfix, Vsftpd, SSH, Tripwire,
LogWatch, Samba, and so on. It does not do DNS or Bind.

I run three servers for which I have had a RHN subscription for each. One
server is installed fresh in the classroom/lab as part of the course
instruction. One server is installed fresh in my office for prep and testing.
One server runs at my home office to provide me a continual stable platform
for testing and learning. I try not to do a fresh install on the home system
if at all possible due to the amount of work it takes to install support
packages (spamassassin, chkrootkit, amavis, fprot, php and mysql apps, and so
on).

In the past I have used whatever was the latest version of the Red Hat Linux
xx (6, 6.2, 7.1, 8, and 9) Bible textbook by Negus. The Negus textbook has
been well received by the students in the past. It provides both a learning
tool and a reference tool.

I also use php, mysql, and Linux in a Nutshell texts. I supplement these
materials with copies of Documentation CDs and a CBT CD. Although a pain, I
have been able to survive on a 12-18 month live cycle. Obviously, new versions
require a lot of prep changes.

The students have been required to subscribe to a demo account of RHN in order
for them to update the rpms that are on the CD that comes with the textbook.

All of the changes are leaving me somewhat frustrated as to what to do next.

and then use some app to make that server an up2date server for my students
(not quite sure how to accomplish this task)?

(2) Long term needs after Spring 2004:

Stable Linux server software as indicated above that my students can install.
I have no idea of what will happen to the Red Hat Linux xx Bible series.
Hence, I may need to find another equivalent textbook based on what direction
I go for the student's software.

Free up2date access for a single semester for those student teams (typically
around 30 students and 12-15 teams).

A prep life cycle of no less than 12-18 months.

**********

I am watching what develops with RHPWS with hopes that maybe it could be made
to work. I am not sure my students can afford a $99 product for only a single
semester. They would still need ftp and mysql server. Also, they need some
means to get free updates. For my prep needs, something along 12-18 month life
cycle would be nice. Further, a textbook like the RH Linux xx Bible would be
needed.

Fedora does not seem to meet these needs due to its short life cycle and
somewhat bleeding edge direction. Student learning as much as they are
required to learn need a stable platform.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Now that I have my thoughts down on paper, I
think I will send a copy to RH education support.