Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:13:10AM -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> I am not sure my students can afford a $99 product for only a single
> semester.

and:
> Fedora does not seem to meet these needs due to its short life cycle and
> somewhat bleeding edge direction. Student learning as much as they are
> required to learn need a stable platform.

Certainly things are not yet clear, but I expect that Fedora is
*exactly* the right thing for your course.  (In fact, I can't think of
anything else that would match Fedora better than does your course.)

It looks like Redhat will be using Fedora as their development ground,
and so they should be motivated to make sure releases are stable so
they don't have to redo all that work when adapting it for their
commercial releases.  If you avoid test releases, you should have
something as bleeding edge as possible while also being stable.  Isn't
that what a graduate level course should be about?  Hell, aren't
graduate students supposed to be creating knowledge and not just
consuming it?  Maybe they should be contributing to Fedora and not
just looking for free errata...

I can see the downside that your reference server at home will have to
be built from scratch more often, but isn't that a reasonble price for
teaching an up to date course?  (Are your students building their
machines from scratch each semester?  Rebuilding yours from scratch
every semester--or two--should be a lot easier for you than it is for
them.)

-kb, the Kent who hopes he isn't being too harsh.