Re: Upgrades?

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 14:22, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > I personally called Red Hat two weeks ago regarding Pro Workstation.
> > They informed me that Pro Workstation would be released with RHEL 3.0
> > because it is *based* on RHEL 3.0 and would be supported as such.  Until
> > they inform me otherwise, I will continue to base my decisions on that
> > information.
>
> That it is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (not 3.0) is known long
> since. That information is also online at
> http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/
>
> But what other facts have been published? I don't care much about
> a sales slave who might have incomplete information, too. It wouldn't
> be the first time someone adds his bit of guess-work.
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux -- and now comes the important detail --
> has a release cycle of 12-18 months. Red Hat Professional Workstation
> could have a *life* cycle of exactly those 12-18 months instead of
> being supported for five years like the Enterprise series.

To clear this up, I've just got off the phone with Red Hat.  They're
retracting their earlier claim that this will be supported with the same
life-cycle as RHEL.  In fact, they went so far as to tell me they didn't
know how long it would be at all, although the best guess probably is
around 1 year.  Grrr.

Oh well, I guess I can scratch Pro Workstation from my product
offerings.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting