Re: Upgrades?

On 27 Oct 2003 12:03:26 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:

> > > http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/rhlas_errata_policy.html
> >
> > Where do you see Red Hat Professional Workstation on that page?
>
> I don't have to see it on that page.  I also don't see any mention of
> AS, ES or WS on that page.  And don't point to the bottom section
> regarding RHEL 2.1 lifecycle... Pro Workstation didn't exist at that
> time.  You'll note that Red Hat has been poignantly discrete about their
> Pro Workstation product;  one might deduce that this is to deflect the
> potential cannabilism of their high-end products.

I don't like guess-work. Potential customers judge on a product by its
product specification and feature description. It is a big mistake
when retailers are either misinformed or uninformed about the support
period of a product. With a life cycle of "approx. 12 months" the
product is less attractive. And "less attractive" could mean it's not
attractive (competitive) enough.

> > I have doubts that the errata support period of RHPW is equal
> > to Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. At least some retailers state
> > that RHPW has an errata support period of 12+ months.
>
> I personally called Red Hat two weeks ago regarding Pro Workstation.
> They informed me that Pro Workstation would be released with RHEL 3.0
> because it is *based* on RHEL 3.0 and would be supported as such.  Until
> they inform me otherwise, I will continue to base my decisions on that
> information.

That it is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (not 3.0) is known long
since. That information is also online at
http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/

But what other facts have been published? I don't care much about
a sales slave who might have incomplete information, too. It wouldn't
be the first time someone adds his bit of guess-work.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux -- and now comes the important detail --
has a release cycle of 12-18 months. Red Hat Professional Workstation
could have a *life* cycle of exactly those 12-18 months instead of
being supported for five years like the Enterprise series.