Re: Upgrades?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:35:09AM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> I have been seeing some things, but missed most of the conversations about
> it and can't find a definite answer on redhat.com.  After April 2004 will
> rhn.redhat.com still be giving us updates for versions 7.2, 7.3 and 9?

They *might* give you access to those patches released prior to the end
of April, but they will release no more.

> Or
> are we going to have to purchase the Enterprise addition?

You have a few choices:
1.  Purchase/subscribe to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2.  Purchase Red Hat Professional Workstation - this is based on RHEL 3
WS but runs at $82 (buy.com), gives you multi-year updates and includes a
full year of RHN.  Includes some server packages (ssh, Apache, Samba)
but not all (e.g. vsftp, bind, ldap, mysql-server).

3.  Migrate/upgrade to Fedora.  No support from Red Hat but support from
the community is likely.

> Also, are they going to keep
> coming out with the standard redhat that I am use to using?  Meaning a
> version 10, then 11, etc......?

No.  There will be no Red Hat Linux 10.

> Fedora just confuses me for what I have
> seen about it.  It seems that it will not be as stable as the releases that
> we are use to.

There is no reason to suspect that Fedora will not be stable.  It will
be leading edge, and that may cause some instabilities, but we'll have
to see if it's viable in a production environment.

I realize that I don't know everything about it though, so
> I could be way off track on that one.  It also seems that the support for
> it (in upgrades) will only go for about 4 to 6 months.  I know, I could be
> wrong on that too.

I've heard some people claim that the Fedora project will be providing
some long-term legacy support, but practically speaking, that isn't
going to work in the long-term.  Eventually people need to move on to
a newer release or pay somebody to provide patches to older releases.

> Anybody who can shed some light on this or point me to
> a URL that explains all of it better than what I have seen on redhat.com, I
> would be grateful.

Did you visit fedora.redhat.com?  There's a lot of information there.

Perhaps if you told us what your needs are, we could help you decide
which product is appropriate for you.  Just be careful to differentiate
need from want.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx