Re: Mail server

At 10:45 10/25/2003, you wrote:
Hello, Rodolfo; good to run into you on yet another list.

Same here; yours is always a good voice to have around (especially in those fora where I post questions!). <smile>

However, I'm one of those people who really likes qmail and finds it
straightforward and easy to use (though I admit that in addition to
Life with Qmail, I also bought (and read) the book written by the same
author).

I have a great deal of respect for qmail as a product that _works_ extremely well. It's fast, configurable and flexible (albeit with patch/recompile for lots of things), secure, and stable. However, although I'm a decent sysadmin, I have very little experience with patching, compiling, and the programming experience in general. For me, qmail was extremely difficult to work with, extremely difficult to learn, and thus not a desirable product.

I will note that I managed to do quite a bit with qmail by using "Life with Qmail", a most excellent document. However again, while someone with little experience can certainly follow LWQ blind, I do think that _learning_ how qmail works is rather difficult. And, at risk of beating a dead horse, I find that there are too many people on this Earth for whom the need to patch and recompile, instead of adding functionality in some sort of modular way, is either just too difficult or just too much like work.

Anyway, I'll quit beating on qmail now... as you've mentioned in the past and I'm happy to agree, the thing WORKS and does so very well. So it is a valid choice, even a great choice, for those who have the required knowledge and skills, or go into using it with their eyes open. It's just that I (and probably the rest of the proletariat) are not so technically-skilled nor do we have the time/money/interest in becoming so.

See you around!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx