Re: Thoughts on Fedora

Jason Dixon wrote:

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 13:50, Ed Wilts wrote:

My home system will be going to Red Hat Professional Workstation. My
copy has already shipped. It's based on RHEL 3 WS, sells for $82
(buy.com) and it includes a full year of RHN for updates. IMO, it's a
nice upgrade from my 7.1/RHN configuration before and a reasonable
price (effectively $22 if you're used to paying $60/yr anyway).

Were you able to find anything detailed about Pro Workstation? The Red Hat website (http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/) is fairly non-descript.

My biggest issue here is that one of the selling points for RHL was that you get all the OS FREE (along with Apache, Samba, Bind, etc). Commercial support was available. I convinced my customers to subscribe to RHN (most did so at $60/month). And some were showing interest in Red Hat's web-based monitoring interface (don't recall the URL but monitors CPU load, disk space, and much more).

Now, to get similar commercial support in a RHL release that /includes/ the same server tools they're used to they'll have to drop $350 (the Pro Workstation doesn't include any server software--according to Red Hat's site). Now the "value" of Linux is starting to fade for them.

This is unfortunate. I was absolutely willing to pay for their RHN and monitoring services--this has incredible value to me. I haven't seen how or if similar options will be available for Fedora but they've made it clear that /no commercial support/ is available.