Re: Mail server

On Friday 24 October 2003 21:27, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Sigh... you're entitled to your viewpoint, of course, but I can't
> help being amazed that anyone can call sendmail "hard to learn" and
> advocate qmail (i.e. implying that qmail is easy to learn). Easy to
> set up blind thanks to a good document, maybe, but easy to _learn_? I
> beg to differ.

Hello, Rodolfo; good to run into you on yet another list.

I'm currently running servers with sendmail, with exim, and with qmail.
I'm not running servers with postfix, but I have set them up in the
past.

My selections are made for me because I using hosting Control Panels and
I use what they come with.

However, I'm one of those people who really likes qmail and finds it
straightforward and easy to use (though I admit that in addition to
Life with Qmail, I also bought (and read) the book written by the same
author).

However as you note, there is one problem...

> On a separate point, note that Red Hat is unable to
> distribute qmail due to DJB's licensing terms... I doubt you will
> ever see Red Hat directly support qmail.

Until I came across your post I was about to reply myself and point out
that qmail is NOT open source.  Anyone considering it should definitely
read DJB's licensing terms before actually using it.  See:
"http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.html#license";.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation