Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

Alan Hodgson wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:08:25PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

are responsible for being able to justify their claims. In other words, if developers claim the application is perfect for me, *then* I have the right to demand that it is. Maybe this is not very relevant to the thread;

Fortunately, all GPL programs are distributed under the terms that:

"EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER
PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO
THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.".

Clearly, the developers are not claiming that the application is perfect
for you.

I don't think that standard disclaimer takes a way the *moral* responsibility (as opposed to the legal one.)

If I make a load, public announcement saying that I've written this great piece of software that is the best thing since the reinvention of the wheel (;-)), and that will render all applications known so far hopelessly irrelevant, I think people have every right to shout at me if it doesn't. That's true even if I give the software away for free, and more importantly, I don't think adding a note in small print, or within a more or less hidden file included in the installation, saying that I don't *really* believe it does, changes anything.

- Toralf