RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

What he's wanting is a standard C++ ABI.  However, no operating system I'm
aware of offers one.  There are standard ABIs for other languages such as
Objective-C (NeXT and Mac OS X) and C# (new windows) and Java (Sun), but I
haven't seen a standard C++ ABI for Windows.  Their ABIs are C-based.  I
think what you wanted is to link using -static and you forgot :)

For an example of a great proprietary app that works great on many, many,
many, many Linux distros, check out Mathematica.  The key is the build
process and installer - choice of compiler has little to do with it.  The
same Mathematica binaries run on pretty much every Linux out there.

Jon