RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

> > First for the record I tried moving a large groups of apps from unix to
> > windows many years ago I worked through many of the compatiblity
> problems,
> > but gave up becauses windows kept crashing while I was trying to run
> their
> > compilier I moved to linux instead it was a breeze.
> > I missed the begining of the thread but if you wanted help changeing the
> > code to meet the standard so it will compile you need to list the error
> > and ask about what is needed. I know a year ago some one moved from 7 to
> > 8 and ask the list about programs failing to compile with the error
> > "undeclared function cout" the fix was easy you just had to add the line
> > using namespace std;
> > after the includes I know this is a minor hassle but not really a big
> > deal, and when I update I'll have to do it too. It is true that in
> > a perfect world upgrades wouldn't break what is working however
> sometimes
> > to improve you have to choose and it breaks things. Just to show this is
> > not limited to linux, I have a new winxp computer I use to work with
> photo
> > I was not happy to discover that the scanner and embrodery card writer
> do
> > not work with XP luckily I still had a computer that ran win98 as the
> > embrodery software & hardware is a few thousand dollars and no longer
> > supported. I can run compiled old versions of software if I keep the old
> > version of the library on Linux for instance I still run Word Perfect
> that
> > ran with RH 6.0 without any problems. If you think you can upgrade
> without
> > any hassles or surprises in any operating system you are living in a
> dream
> > world. That is why most of us try it first at home before we upgrade
> > critical systems. If you upgrade and have trouble this list is an
> > incrediblely helpful source for working out your problems but ranting
> > doesn't help solve the problem.
> >                              Linda Hanigan

I'm not sure where you're coming from or where you're headed.  The object
was to find compatible c++ libs.  Of course you would have problems moving
apps from MS to linux and vice versa.  There are heavier reasons than libs
for a switch from MS to linux and vice versa, and it has very little to do
with compatibility.  The problem is moving apps from linux 7.3 to 9 without
breaking the world or merely upgrading from one c++ compiler to the latest
and the world breaking.  There is no reason for that to happen and it won't
happen in a MS, DEC or SUN environ.