RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

> with compatibility.  The problem is moving apps from linux 7.3 to 9 without
> breaking the world or merely upgrading from one c++ compiler to the latest
> and the world breaking.  There is no reason for that to happen and it won't
> happen in a MS, DEC or SUN environ.

I guess my point is try moving programs from win95 or win98 to win XP or
Win 2000 somethings work somethings don't. I am not saying that it is fun
but it is hardly a Linux problem that upgrading the os breaks things but
if you take the trouble to get your source code to compile you can fix it
if everything has to be backward compatible in the compiler you would
be stuck with some very strange standards. C++ is developing standards
and as those common standards are agreed upon they  must be put in place
and they do effect the compiler's backward compatibility but that is the
price you pay for improving the language. My experience is that g++ gives
pretty decent error messages and if you can't figure them out and post
them to c++ programing list you can get help.
                                  Linda Hanigan