Grrrrr .. Samba upgrade

Don't laugh too loudly ....

I have a linux box at work and I need to print on a network printer.
During the RH 9 install I put in the default Samba package.
I could not get it to work, someone suggested getting Samba 3.0 because
it supported active directries.
Ok, fine. Got the RPM and tried to install using the  rpm -Uvh filename
and got an error in the process.
I then tried to delet the old samba using rpm and X add remove. I used
the -V and saw that two dependicies were missing. Using Locate I see
mostly older version Samba numbers and only the 3.0 rpm package.

At this point I want to get rid of eveything samba and start over. Whats
the best way to do that?
My answer would be to do a locate, go to each directory and rm the files.
There has to be an easier way. While I need to learn the command line,
and X solution gets me out of the woods quickly.

Thanks in advance