RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

> The above attitude is the one that causes people to worry about using linux
> period.  Look at this way, you decide to drop Microsoft and go to linux, for
> whatever reasons.  You get there and decide to use version 7.3 and build
> your apps using the default compiler that comes with 7.3.  You get
> everything working with some effort.  Some A.H. comes along and says you
> ought to upgrade to version 9 and you do and get the default compiler with
> that version and in order to take advantage of the new version you rebuild
> all of your apps and they neither compile and definitely won't run.  This is
> the non-technical person that does that.  He did it all the time with the
> other OS (MS), but this new and great OS doesn't allow him to do something
> simple without causing him grief.  That's the problem that RH has faced with
> open source and it is the reason that large numbers of common users will not
> make the switch.

First for the record I tried moving a large groups of apps from unix to
windows many years ago I worked through many of the compatiblity problems,
but gave up becauses windows kept crashing while I was trying to run their
compilier I moved to linux instead it was a breeze.
I missed the begining of the thread but if you wanted help changeing the
code to meet the standard so it will compile you need to list the error
and ask about what is needed. I know a year ago some one moved from 7 to
8 and ask the list about programs failing to compile with the error
"undeclared function cout" the fix was easy you just had to add the line
using namespace std;
after the includes I know this is a minor hassle but not really a big
deal, and when I update I'll have to do it too. It is true that in
a perfect world upgrades wouldn't break what is working however sometimes
to improve you have to choose and it breaks things. Just to show this is
not limited to linux, I have a new winxp computer I use to work with photo
I was not happy to discover that the scanner and embrodery card writer do
not work with XP luckily I still had a computer that ran win98 as the
embrodery software & hardware is a few thousand dollars and no longer
supported. I can run compiled old versions of software if I keep the old
version of the library on Linux for instance I still run Word Perfect that
ran with RH 6.0 without any problems. If you think you can upgrade without
any hassles or surprises in any operating system you are living in a dream
world. That is why most of us try it first at home before we upgrade
critical systems. If you upgrade and have trouble this list is an
incrediblely helpful source for working out your problems but ranting
doesn't help solve the problem.
                             Linda Hanigan