Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

What he's wanting is a standard C++ ABI. However, no operating system I'm
aware of offers one.

Hmmm. I used to work on SGI workstations (I was as "certified developer" and everything ;-)), and I was always under the impression that the MIPS ABI that got a great deal of publicity (in SGI related fora) 5 or 6 years ago, also covered C++. I may have been wrong, though...

Also, the original discussion was about compatibility between two versions of g++, and as I said elsewhere, the lack of a standardised ABI is really no excuse for not making sure different releases of *the same compiler* produce compatible binaries. The publication of a new standard that enforces conventions different from the ones used in the past, obviously is a good reason for making a change (although it's not given that you should switch immediately after the standard is published.)

- Toralf