Re: Failed adadm RAID array after aborted Grown operation

Am 11.05.22 um 15:22 schrieb Bob Brand:
Sorry Reindl.  I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I did or didn't do
the right thing in booting from a CentOS rescue disk? At the moment it's
running from the rescue disk and, be it the best distro to have used (or
not), I would imagine that I need to keep running from the rescue disk until
the reshape is complete as rebooting in the middle of a reshape is what got
me in this mess.

and i don't understand what you did not understand in the clear response below you got days ago!

due reshape you where advised use whatever rescue/live system with a recent kernel and mdadm, not more and not less

just to avoid probaly long fixed bugs in your old kernel

Try and get a CentOS 8.5 disk. At the end of the day, the version of linux doesn't matter. What you need is an up-to-date rescue disk. Distro/whatever is unimportant - what IS important is that you are using the latest mdadm, and a kernel that matches.

The problem you have sounds like a long-standing but now-fixed bug. An original CentOS disk might be okay (with matched kernel and mdadm), but almost certainly has what I consider to be a "dodgy" version of mdadm.

If you can afford the downtime, after you've reverted the reshape, I'd try starting it again with the rescue disk. It'll probably run fine. Let it complete and then your old CentOS 7 will be fine with it.