Re: Failed adadm RAID array after aborted Grown operation

How old is CentOS 7? With that kernel I guess it's quite old?

Try and get a CentOS 8.5 disk. At the end of the day, the version of linux doesn't matter. What you need is an up-to-date rescue disk. Distro/whatever is unimportant - what IS important is that you are using the latest mdadm, and a kernel that matches.

The problem you have sounds like a long-standing but now-fixed bug. An original CentOS disk might be okay (with matched kernel and mdadm), but almost certainly has what I consider to be a "dodgy" version of mdadm.

If you can afford the downtime, after you've reverted the reshape, I'd try starting it again with the rescue disk. It'll probably run fine. Let it complete and then your old CentOS 7 will be fine with it.

Cheers,
Wol