Re: hardware recovery and RAID5 services

On 31/01/2022 19:21, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 1/31/22 14:07, Geoff Back wrote:
>
>> If a disk has one or more bad sectors, surely the only logical action is
>> to schedule it for replacement as soon as a new one can be obtained; and
>> if it's still in warranty, send it back.  If the data is valuable enough
>> to warrant use of RAID (along with, presumably, appropriate backups)
>> surely it is too valuable to risk continuing to use a known faulty disk?
>>
>> In which case, I would suggest that dangerous experiments that try to
>> force the disk to reallocate the block are arguably pointless.
>>
>> Just my opinion, but one that has served me well so far.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geoff.
> I would be surprised if you got warranty replacement just for a few
> re-allocated sectors.  The sheer quantity of sectors in modern drives
> and the tiny magnetic domains involved means **no** drive is error-free.
>   Just most defects are identified and mapped out before shipping.
> Reallocations cover the marginal cases.
>
> I replace drives when re-allocations hit double digits, though I've had
> to run a few corners cases well past that point.
>
> Phil

I've never had a problem with any manufacturer replacing a drive that
reallocates even one sector within 12 months.  I just send them a
"smartctl -x" log.
I can't remember the last time I had a drive do its first sector
reallocate after 12 months but before end of warranty, so I can't really
comment on what the manufacturers might be like in that case.

Yes, there will be original manufacturing defects that are mapped out
before shipping.  That's fine and doesn't bother me.  But any drive that
has developed a bad sector after installation will in my experience tend
to develop more in time, and on a few occasions I've seen drives that
reallocate in "bursts" so the count remains fairly stable for a while
then jumps up 40 or 50 sectors within a few minutes.

I generally reckon that as soon as one bad sector appears on an
out-of-warranty drive (which is alerted by SMART monitoring) it's time
to start looking at replacement as soon as reasonably possible, subject
to drive availability and a good time for the swapout and rebuild.  That
might mean next-day a drive and replace immediately or it might mean
within a couple of weeks, depending on drive availability and the
operational cost of a total array failure.

I did come across a customer array on one occasion with between 50 and
1200 reallocated sectors on each of the 12 drives in the array.  it was
working and generally performance was as expected, but I would not have
dared to replace/rebuild any of those disks (it was ultimately done as a
complete new array and data migration).

As always, this is my (experience-based) opinion and your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Geoff.

--
Geoff Back
What if we're all just characters in someone's nightmares?