Re: hardware recovery and RAID5 services

On 21/01/2022 16:48, David T-G wrote:
Has anyone worked with any recovery companies in the US?  One of the 4T
devices failed, possibly just because of motor issues, and one is
throwing read errors, while two are just fine.  This would probably be
easy for the right folks to fix, of course at some cost; the question is
are there any folks that you might recommend and how much is that cost.

I've heard assorted stories about sticking drives in the freezer to help them recover, and have personal experience of being given a drive that has "failed" and I've managed to recover. Firstly, do you have a new 4TB drive to recover to? My worry is trying to copy the drive with read errors may lead to even more trouble. I'd try and recover it with ddrescue, and see how much it can get back.

Secondly, I'm sure I've dealt with these people in the past, although I can't vouch for them ...

https://www.vogon-computer-evidence.com/our-story/

I didn't use them for recovering damaged kit, we just had a bunch of 9-track backups, but no 9-track drive, so they dumped them to CD for us. From a business p-o-v it wasn't expensive ... see if they've got an operation near you. Describe your problem in as much detail as you can, and see if they'll give you an estimate ...

Cheers,
Wol