Re: hardware recovery and RAID5 services

Hi David, et al,

The principle of "My Hard Drive Died" is Scott Moulton, a highly respected member of the forensics and white-hat scene here in the Atlanta Metro Area.

https://myharddrivedied.com/

That said, I highly recommend copying the disk showing read errors onto another disk, keeping the log of sectors replaced by zeros. Then performing a file by file backup from the degraded array, using the copy instead of the troubled drive.

*After* you recover what you can, examine the replaced sector list and back-calculate what files, if any, were affected. This will give you a limited and less expensive task to pay experts to solve. Or carry on with whatever you ended up with. I think your odds are good.

And yes, the pros are not cheap.