Re: raid1 issue after disk failure: both disks of the array are still active

I finally managed to reallocate the sectors!

I tried with sg3-utils but I get:

root@asterisk:~# sg_reassign --address=3912 /dev/sda
REASSIGN BLOCKS not supported

then I read this on the smartmontools mailing list:

<<
Possibly what is happening is that because he is only writing a partial
block, the OS is first trying to read the the original block so that it
can preserve the parts that won't be changing. When this operation fails,
it blocks the write that would trigger reallocation of the bad sector.
Writing using the OS blocksize (typically 4096 on linux systems) properly
aligned should work around that issue.

so I tried with

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096

and ta-daaa! :D

197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - *0* 198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1

Current_Pending_Sector are gone!

with a smartctl -t offline /dev/sda I removed the Offline_Uncorrectable too:

197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0 198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - *0*

For the sake of google:

    Reallocated_Event_Count

This is how many sectors have already been reallocated on the drive. We're hoping to get the hard disk to increase this number!

    Current_Pending_Sector

The number of sectors that the drive thinks are dodgy. Bear in mind sometimes drives change their mind about whether a sector is bad or not - so this number can go down without a reallocation occuring.

    Offline_Uncorrectable

This is the number of sectors that the drive has attempted to correct itself, but failed. Running the command:

    smartctl -t offline /dev/hda

should cause the drive to test the sectors and attempt to fix them. Not all drives support this though.

Thanks for helping!
Niccolò
--
http://www.linuxsystems.it