Re: raid1 issue after disk failure: both disks of the array are still active

On Sep 14, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Robin Hill wrote:

> On Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 12:04:56 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2012, at 1:45 AM, Niccolò Belli wrote:
>>
>>> I also would like to know if the raid1 will *surely* use data from
>>> the other disk to write on the broken sector after a CHECK.
>>
>> Not according to documentation. In normal operation, and for a repair,
>> what you describe is correct. But not for check.
>>
> Maybe you need to reread the documentation.

Probably. It's densely packed.

> So a check will repair cases where the data cannot be read at all, but
> will not repair cases where the data is returned but does not match the
> data on the other mirror(s).

Yes, I now see the distinction between disk read-error and an array block mismatch.

>>> I read that when raid1 is in doubt there is a 50%-50% chance it uses
>>> data from the good disk, wouldn't be better to fail the broken disk
>>> and then re-add it to the array?
>>
>> I don't know what this means.
>>
> I assume he's referring to cases where the data is read successfully but
> does not match the data on the mirror(s). In this case a repair will
> cause one copy to overwrite the others, which may or may not be the
> correct copy (md has no way of knowing for a mirrored pair).

I understand the ambiguity. It seems ill advised to arbitrarily replace what could be valid data. So some clarification on what repair does in a raid 1,10 block mismatch would be useful, as it may be repair shouldn't be used: rather use check and find out what file(s) are affected by the mismatch and replace the files from backup.

This statement from documentation is confusing to me: "For RAID1/RAID10, all but one block are overwritten with the content of that one block."

Chris Murphy--