Re: Small short question

On 14-09-12 18:43, Peter Grandi wrote:
Since I had only one valid device to check with etc, I assume
that if fsck -n -f /dev/md2 runs sucessfully, it is 100% safe
to assume the array is perfectly healthy?
If the filesystem used supports both metadata and data checksums
and its 'fsck -f' does verify all of them, then yes. Otherwise
obviously no.
I dont' think ext4 has datachecksums yet? Let me rephrase that, I know there's a patch circulating I think but it wasn't recommended yet as it wasn't 'stable' yet? Anyway, I doubt my older ext4 disk has datachecksums yet. Metadata is pretty much default if i'm not mistaken :) So 0 errors from fsck, should mean all data is okay, right?

[ ... ] recommended to simply create a new array, with a new
FS on it, and copy all data over (Logically also with
/dev/md2, /dev/sda6 missing and later adding sdb6)?
Given the number of people who ask here to recover the unique
data they have on a RAID set, perhaps it is good to restate here
that RAID does not mean "no longer need backups" :-).
It's not super crucial important data. That said, its never nice to loose data, right? :) Yes, always backup! :p

[ ... ] I was wrong. I was so sure I made it o2, that I ruled
out the possibility it being f2. [ ... ] Short story short,
it turns out it was 128k chunks, Far2 offset. [ ... ]
While you go the lengths of choosing particular layouts on
specific filetrees, saving the output of '--scan' in
'mdadm.conf' seems strangely to have been a lower priority :-).
Oh I have mdadm.conf, but it doesn't list raid level, layout nor chunk sizes :( Only array name, meta-data and raid ID.