Re: Small short question Was: Re: Recovering from the kernel bug, Neil?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:51:46 +0200 Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Since I had only one valid device to check with etc, I assume that if
> fsck -n -f /dev/md2 runs sucessfully, it is 100% safe to assume the
> array is perfectly healthy?

I might be a bit late here but....

No, not 100% safe.
I would at least mount the filesystem and have a look around - take a random
sample and see if it all looks credible.  If it does then that is as good as
it gets.

> E.g. it should be perfectly safe to mdadm --zero-superblock on /dev/sda6
> and add it to /dev/md2 (missing /dev/sdb6)?
>
> I know technically this all works out fine, and the bug shouldn't have
> broken anything in that regard. Or is it absolutly recommended to simply
> create a new array, with a new FS on it, and copy all data over
> (Logically also with /dev/md2, /dev/sda6 missing and later adding sdb6)?

Creating a new array shouldn't be necessary.  In general I would avoid
copying data when convenient.

NeilBrown