Re: "mdadm: Raid level 5 not permitted with --build" -- why is that?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:10:17 +0800 Igor M Podlesny <for.poige+lsr@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>    It's simple matter and as to me I prefer brevity. I see no purpose
> in inflating mail body just due to it was short. It's simple matter,
> that's why it's short, damn it.
>
>    And finally — the fact of the reply *was* given proved that the
> question was easily understood. So what, then?

This is not actually correct.  I don't think that I did understand your
question, as you had provided no context.
Your question might have been:
 1/ I was reading the man page and discovered that RAID5 is not
    permitted with --build and wondered why.
or
 2/ I was reading the code and saw that RAID5 is not permitted with
    --build and wondered why
or
 3/ I was trying to do XX and thought that --build might be a solution
    but I need RAID5 and --build doesn't support RAID5 - why is that?

Each of these could have quite different answers so I couldn't be sure that
what I would say would actually be helpful unless I answered all of them,
which would probably be a waste of effort to some extent.  This is why I felt
that "Because!" was about all that the question really deserved.

I was feeling rather tired at the time which probably explains (without
justifying) the shortness of my answer.  I should have realised that and not
replied at all - my mistake.

BTW I wasn't intending sarcasm at all - sorry if you thought I was.

NeilBrown