Re: "mdadm: Raid level 5 not permitted with --build" -- why is that?

On 25/06/2012 14:12, Igor M Podlesny wrote:
On 25 June 2012 19:58, Roman Mamedov <rm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:33:23 +0800
Igor M Podlesny <for.poige+lsr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Feel free to send a patch.

    — "Feel free" to spend time digging into an area which isn't what
you get paid for? At least what exactly should be patched this time,
will you kindly tell us?

Oh come on, that's just rude. I don't think Neil is paid by anyone to answer
your questions here either.

    Neither he was paid to add his "feel free", I guess, was he? Or was
that such an intricate payment?

Like many pieces of open source software, Linux md raid is written and maintained by a mixture of volunteer work and corporate sponsorship. I have no idea how much Suse (or Novell) pay Neil for the work he does - but he goes far beyond the call of duty in his support work on this mailing list. All he asks is that you ask your questions in a clear and polite way. Putting the question in the subject but not in the body of the email is not good enough - the post should have a good subject line /and/ a good email body. Why should Neil or anyone else take the time to write a helpful reply to someone who cannot even be bothered to write a good email?

Neil told you why md raid does not (currently) implement "--build" for raid5. And he suggested that if you want that behaviour to change, you are always welcome to send a patch. If you don't want to write an implementation of the missing behaviour, that's fair enough too - very few people respond to "feel free to send a patch" by actually sending a patch. But if you want to get annoyed and sarcastic, please keep your comments to yourself.

mvh.,

David