Re: "mdadm: Raid level 5 not permitted with --build" -- why is that?

On 25 June 2012 14:52, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:07:33 +0800 Igor M Podlesny <for.poige+lsr@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>    subj. Hi :)
>
> Please try to construct coherent email message.  If you want people to read
> what you write, make it easy for them.

   And what is so uneasy in such a little quoting sentence?, I shall ask.

   Those, who know where does the quote come from, are the target
group, those, who doesn't — aren't.

   What's the problem?

> Because!
>
> With nowhere to record device failure, you don't have any safety.

   Well, suppose you don't need one — due to short-term period of such
an array existence which in its turn was predicated by real array
failure, say, damaging superblocks (if it reminds you something).
mdadm -C would create one, but you may not know which '-e' to specify.
That's the reasoning beneath to have -B which wouldn't overwrite any
data on disks at all so ideally fitting as a probe tool.

> Feel free to send a patch.

   — "Feel free" to spend time digging into an area which isn't what
you get paid for? At least what exactly should be patched this time,
will you kindly tell us?