Re: "mdadm: Raid level 5 not permitted with --build" -- why is that?

On 25 June 2012 20:40, David Brown <david.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25/06/2012 14:12, Igor M Podlesny wrote:
[…]
> Like many pieces of open source software, Linux md raid is written and
> maintained by a mixture of volunteer work and corporate sponsorship.  I have
> no idea how much Suse (or Novell) pay Neil for the work he does - but he
> goes far beyond the call of duty in his support work on this mailing list.

   He went even further, since "feel free to send a patch" is clearly
sarcastic as well. Why? — I explained.

>  All he asks is that you ask your questions in a clear and polite way.
>  Putting the question in the subject but not in the body of the email is not
> good enough - the post should have a good subject line /and/ a good email

   Who said so? Don't your mail client show Subject line or what?
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

   It's simple matter and as to me I prefer brevity. I see no purpose
in inflating mail body just due to it was short. It's simple matter,
that's why it's short, damn it.

   And finally — the fact of the reply *was* given proved that the
question was easily understood. So what, then?

> body.  Why should Neil or anyone else take the time to write a helpful reply
> to someone who cannot even be bothered to write a good email?

   Ask him, not me. I wrote, he answered. 49 % off-topic, 1 % sarcasm,
another 50 on topic — hell yeah, at least something!

> Neil told you why md raid does not (currently) implement "--build" for
> raid5.  And he suggested that if you want that behaviour to change, you are
> always welcome to send a patch.  If you don't want to write an
> implementation of the missing behaviour, that's fair enough too - very few
> people respond to "feel free to send a patch" by actually sending a patch.

   And I reminded that my daily job is not LSR hacking, so now what?

>  But if you want to get annoyed and sarcastic, please keep your comments to
> yourself.

   The same applies to you — keep it to yourself, David, if you wish.
I'm free to speak my mind free, am not I?