Re: Recommended pci-e 1x SATA cards.

On 18/04/11 02:36, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Brad Campbell put forth on 4/17/2011 12:44 AM:

Hells bells, there is even a case that Roman pointed to where the
precise controller you recommend as being of suitable quality
demonstrates the exact fault we are talking about, and you try to blame
the copy program or the Windows driver.

There appears to be an insidious flaw in these chips that only manifests
itself under "perfect storm" conditions, but when it does it silently
eats your data.

I've been in the hardware game a long time, and all the evidence I'm
seeing WRT this silent data corruption issue points simply to QC, not a
chip design flaw.  If the problem were a chip design flaw, we'd see far
more widespread reporting, as millions of this chip have shipped into
the marketplace.

I did a cursory search on the 3132 last night. There are a *staggering* number of reports of silent data corruption on the Mac. It turns out these cards are a pretty common add-on in the Mac community. It's so bad some vendors of expansion chassis explicitly state that using a Sil3132 card to drive their chassis will eventually lead to corrupt data.

The fact that the Russian with 5 cards purchased in Dubai could
routinely demonstrate this problem with 2 of 5 identical cards, and
never on the other 3, points directly to a board QC isue.  Again, if the
problem were a design flaw in the IC itself, all 5 cards would have
exhibited the problem.

Actually Stan, I purchased my card in Dubai. The Russian cards were purchased in Eastern Europe.

I'm going to drop this thread now as the horse is well and truly dead.

Friends don't let friends use SIL3132 controllers.