Re: Recommended pci-e 1x SATA cards.

On 17/04/11 04:40, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Brad Campbell put forth on 4/16/2011 3:57 AM:

I can't recommend anybody go within a mile of a product that works well
for 99.999% of people, when if you happen to be the 0.001% sample you
don't know you are until the device has silently eaten all your data.

Then you may as well not recommend any board to anyone, because few
manufacturers of relatively inexpensive boards have QC that high or an
in the field failure rate that low, not matter whose control IC they
mount on the PCB.  Margins on such products are razor thin, thus these
manufacturers cut corners where they can.  Some cut corners more
sharply, such as the in the case where 2/5 boards demonstrated the flaw
and 3 didn't.  This directly points to a QC problem, not an IC design
flaw in the 3132.

Now as I have a board here that demonstrates the exact same problem and is physically different from those boards then I'd suggest that there is more to this than bad QC on the part of one manufacturer.

While I understand what you are saying. What part of "silent data corruption" are you not getting?

Find me an example of an LSI or Marvell based board that causes *silent* data corruption. They all have their flaws, sure and some of those can be traced back to cheap dodgy manufacturing. The critical issue with all these other products is that when they have issues you know about it. The LSI boards used to lock up a channel when you sent an unaligned CDB to them, the Marvell boards have been known to drop channels completely (total hardware failure). Both these issues are highly visible, and whilst annoying you at least *know* there is a problem.

The whole premise of storage that has no end to end verification strategy is that you can trust your data path. The SIL chips (and I don't care how much you bang on about cheap hardware) have a bug that in certain circumstances invalidates all guarantees about data integrity silently.

Hells bells, there is even a case that Roman pointed to where the precise controller you recommend as being of suitable quality demonstrates the exact fault we are talking about, and you try to blame the copy program or the Windows driver.

There appears to be an insidious flaw in these chips that only manifests itself under "perfect storm" conditions, but when it does it silently eats your data.