Re: Recommended pci-e 1x SATA cards.

Roman Mamedov put forth on 4/14/2011 11:58 PM:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:55:40 -0500
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Steven Haigh put forth on 4/14/2011 8:16 AM:
>>
>>> That is a very nice writeup... I searched for the HighPoint Rocket 620 -
>>> listed as $24.99 on NewEgg - but Australian suppliers seem to have it
>>> above $100AUD. The cheapest price I found was $54AUD - and they were out
>>> of stock.
>>
>> This is the card you should get:
>> http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=536
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124027
>>
>> It's the same Syba Sil3132 based card BackBlaze uses in their 45 drive
>> mdadm managed pods.
>>

> Did you read the second link you posted, specifically the Feedback section?
> That's one more confirmation of corruption issue we discussed in this thread.

The overall Newegg rating for the Syba card you deride is 4/5 eggs
across 109 reviews.  If the card was as horrible as you make it out to
be, the rating would be 1/5 not 4/5, and people would stop buying it.

Note that the user who posted the read corruption issue referred to a
single application in Windows 7 where this error occurred, TeraCopy.
It's far more likely he was up against an application or driver issue
than a hardware issue with the Syba card.  He did not state whether a
Windows Explorer copy would also cause the problem, nor xcopy, nor
Robocopy, etc.

BTW, did you even read the BackBlaze blog I posted?  They run hundreds
of this exact Syba 3132 card, with Linux, with mdraid, and have reported
zero problems.  And they're using a 5:1 PMP on each 3132 port.  If these
cards, or the 3132 were junk, as you state, surely BackBlaze would have
run into problems in 2+ years of full production, no?

Again, you're taking isolated incidents and assuming they are the norm,
when they most certainly are not.

--
Stan